Knights of the Highway,
Business is starting to pick up, but rates are still lagging. While the freight market figures itself out, the FMCSA has been active, keep on top of the latest news below. Stay safe and thank you for your efforts.
Get that non-preventable DOT recordable OFF your SMS record!
DOT reportables stick out like a sore thumb on your SMS record as they can lead to higher potential for an audit, broker scrutiny, and insurance challenges. If you believe a DOT recordable flagged on your record was not preventable, we HIGHLY encourage you to challenge it through FMCSA’s Crash Preventability Determination Program (CPDP). Click here to see eligible crash types and instructions on how to contest a DOT recordable via a DataQs.
FMCSA Updates Hour of Service Rule to Increase Safety & Flexibility
The FMCSA believes the revised HOS rules summarized below will go into effect on Sep. 29.
– Increase safety and flexibility for the 30-minute break
– Modify the sleeper-berth exception
– Modify the adverse driving conditions exception
– Change the short-haul exception available to certain commercial drivers lengthening their drivers’ maximum on‑duty period from 12 to 14 hours and extending the distance limit within which the driver may operate from 100 air miles to 150 air miles.
Many believe the changes in HOS can lead to improved safety You can review the final rule here.
FMCSA extends expired CDL, CLP, med cert waiver through September
Drivers now have until Sept. 30 to renew licenses and certificates that expired on or after March 1. Read more.
Smile, You’re on Camera
The debate over the use of dash cameras is at a tipping point. It seems that the majority of motor carriers are now embracing dash cameras as a way to protect your fleet from bogus claims and identify negative driver behaviors such as distracted driving or near misses BEFORE they result in an accident. Fleets such as Knight-Swift are monitoring camera options to ensure that their selected provider has the technology to best match and protect their operation.
– Are there any insurance companies that subsidize cameras? Sure there are!
– Do we have an opinion on how motor carriers have benefited from cameras? You bet!
– Can we connect you with a motor carrier that was skeptical about the use of cameras, but now says it was one of the best decisions they have made? Yup!